RACINE, Wis. - A Wisconsin man faces charges after he allegedly bit a sheriff's office K-9 during his arrest last Monday.
The Racine County Sheriff's Office released body camera video of 44-year-old Leland O'Malley, who faces multiple charges from the incident.
Officials say shortly before midnight on Monday, deputies responded to a man outside of a Town of Dover house. The caller said the man, later identified as O'Malley, would not leave and appeared to be intoxicated.
O'Malley was walking around the house banging on windows and doors yelling that he wanted to be let into the house to sleep.
"It appeared to me he was not in the right state of mind," said Racine County Sheriff Christopher Schmaling.
Deputy David Fisher with his K-9 partner "Murphy," saw O'Malley pounding a window. The deputy ordered him to step away and O'Malley refused. The complaint says O'Malley also refused to "remove his hand from his pocket."
"You can see on this video, he was clearly told this was going to happen. But he kept - kept advancing," Schmaling said.
Under the threat of the K-9 being released on him, O'Malley stepped forward, but then began to increase his speed toward the officer, ignoring his command to "stay back."
Believing O'Malley was going to assault him, Deputy Fisher released Murphy, who "took hold of the defendant's arm." O'Malley "wrapped his arm around the K-9's head" and appeared to "attempt to bite the K-9," twice.
Deputy Fisher repeatedly yelled, "Stop fighting my dog!" before O'Malley complied.
Murphy was not injured in the incident. Sheriff Schmaling said he reacted exactly as he was trained to do.
"So here's the bright side. I don't have a deputy sheriff that's injured or killed. The dog is not injured. So this is a win-win," Schmaling said. "The suspect, we did not have to use another level of force to overcome his resistance."
O'Malley faces misdemeanor counts of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and striking a police animal.
CAMANCHE, Iowa – Fire officials say that they responded to a fire today inside the auto shop department at Camanche High School.
The call came just before 11:30 A.M. on March 22, when the air handling system overheated, and the filtration system inside caught fire.
Upon arrival, fire fighters found heavy smoke confined to the plasma cutting room inside the school’s auto shop. They say the actual fire had burned itself out before they arrived on the scene.
The damage is estimated at $1,000 to the structure and $5,000 to the air handling equipment. The school was insured.
The department spent about 35 minutes at the school. They used positive pressure ventilation to clear the building of smoke and worked on smoke detectors.
The school’s students and staff evacuated and no injuries were reported.
Classes then resumed after the building was determined to be safe.
DAVENPORT, Iowa – Davenport Police say they responded to three shots fired calls on March 22, all before noon, and police say they don’t believe the incidents are related.
The first call came in at 8:47 A.M. in the area of 1400 Farnam Street. When officers arrived on the scene, they found casings, and determined that one house had been damaged by gunfire. Witnesses there reported a smaller red car as possibly being involved. Detectives are following up on that incident.
The next call was at 8:53 A.M. Police arrived on the scene at 3500 Rockingham Road. Officers say witnesses heard possible gunshots and described a man firing into the air while driving a light color pickup truck. No casings were located and no damage was found. Police are continuing to investigate that incident as well.
The third call was reported at 10:29 A.M. It happened near 800 East Kimberly Road. Officers arrived on the scene and canvassed the area. Witnesses described a male subject firing a gun out of a small silver four door sedan while traveling westbound on Kimberly Road. Officers did locate casings.
No injuries are reported in any of the shootings. Police are still investigating all three incidents.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to call the Davenport Police Department at 563 326-6125.
HOUSTON, Texas — At least one person is dead after an angry driver plowed through a crowd of people early Thursday outside an LGBT nightclub in Houston, according to police.
The incident happened at Judy’s Hamburger around 2:20 a.m. Investigators said the driver was jumped by a group of men before going to his car and ramming through the parking lot where the incident initially started.
There were several dozen people in the parking lot at the time, police said, and the suspect hit several innocent bystanders and multiple cars.
The vehicle finally came to a stop after pinning a person against a fence. That victim was taken to the hospital where he later died.
Th suspect was arrested at the scene and was also hospitalized with several injuries from the fight.
A British moviegoer has died after a freak accident that wouldn’t be out of place in a Final Destination film. Authorities say the customer was at Vue Cinema in Birmingham when his head became wedged under the electronic footrest of a reclining “Gold Class” seat, the Guardian reports.
Sources tell the Birmingham Mail that the man, who was at the cinema with his partner, was trying to retrieve a phone he had dropped between seats.
The man became trapped when the footrest shifted from the upright position, the sources say. The Mail‘s sources say the man panicked as the footrest clamped onto his head and his partner and others struggled desperately to break it away and free him.
The West Midlands Ambulance Service says the man suffered a cardiac arrest while trapped under the seat. He was hospitalized after emergency workers restarted his heart, but he died in the hospital a week after the March 9 incident.
The cinema company says it is investigating the incident. “We are committed to helping and assisting those involved and respect their wishes for privacy and no publicity,” Vue Cinemas said in a statement.
Winter Storm Watch in effect for Friday night into Saturday
No doubt today’s weather was the week’s best with plenty of sunshine and daytime reaching the lower 50s.
Clouds will on the increase as early as tonight as our well-advertised storm system slowly tracks in Friday night into Saturday.
We’ll first start off with a passing light rain shower or two later Friday into Friday evening before the rain coverage becomes more widespread that night. Around midnight is when a change over to a wet snow takes over especially for the northeastern half of the viewing area. This includes towns such as DeWitt, Clinton, the Quad Cities, Prophetstown, Morrison, Mount Carroll, Sterling-Rock Falls, Princeton, and LaSalle-Peru. This will be a narrow band as far as snow accumulations go with 3-6″ likely, with an even smaller band within that which could exceed over 6 inches. As you travel farther south and west of the Quad Cities, there’s a better chance of a rain/snow mix with little or no accumulation.
What makes this forecast challenging is any slight shift north of south of this band will change amounts drastically. So, expect a few touch ups in the next 24 hours. Bottom line, plan and prepare if you have to be out and about especially Saturday morning.
Drier skies return by Saturday evening resulting in brighter skies and highs in the lower 40s on Sunday. Likely most of the snowfall would have melted by the beginning of the new week.
Chief meteorologist James Zahara
CHICAGO (Illinois News Network) — A woman who filed a federal lawsuit against the Democratic Party of Illinois and House Speaker Michael Madigan’s political operations wants to find evidence of who knew of the alleged sexual harassment, when they knew about it, and how they handled it.
Former Madigan campaign worker Alaina Hampton filed the lawsuit in federal court Wednesday. She claims Kevin Quinn, a high-level Madigan political operative, made numerous unwanted sexual advances. After reporting it internally, Hampton’s attorney, Shelly Kulwin, said Hampton, who was successful enough to be a paid staffer, was then unwanted.
“So the notion that she would suddenly not be someone that they would have wanted to work on that campaign, immediately on the heels of her reporting this conduct, seems to us, in our view, to be strong circumstantial evidence,” Kulwin said Thursday at a news conference in Chicago.
Kulwin said he will seek additional evidence through the discovery process, including internal memos and text messages.
“Text message discovery, emails, and what did the defendants know and when did they know it,” Kulwin said. “That’s part of the case.”
The suit alleges that around August 2016, Quinn started the “severe and pervasive sexual harassment” with repeated calls, some late at night, dozens of text messages, including one telling Hampton she was “smoking hot.” The unwanted text messages continued on a regular basis despite Hampton repeatedly telling Quinn she wanted only a professional relationship, not a romantic or sexual one, according to the lawsuit and copies of text messages included in the court filing.
“U will not even permit me to buy you a beer,” Quinn asked via text at one point after being turned down several times.
“When you first asked, you phrased it in a way that pertained to work, I thought it was professional. I work closely with Marty often for political things, so I’m sure you can see why I would only want to have a professional relationship with you or anyone at the ward office,” Hampton responded in a text.“Why just a professional relationship?” Quinn asked.
“I won’t mix my professional life with my personal life,” Hampton said.
“Understood. If I were not involved with the ward would u grab a drink with me,” Quinn asked.
“I have always seen you in a supervisor role. I don’t see you in that way,” Hampton said.
In a later text exchange, Quinn wrote “I apologize. Not trying to big foot you . Just trying to do my job […] I apologize. Your a hotb beautiful smart women. Sorry for The interaction […] Here is the reality. I like you very much in so many 0ways. I think about you all the time. Please let me know you do not feel the same. Thanks[.]”
Hampton replied: “I need you to stop. I have dedicated a lot of time to this election cycle and I will continue to do so, but I need to be able to do my work without you contacting me like this. I’m not interested. I just want to do my work.”
In later texts, Quinn continued to ask to take Hampton out for a drink.
Madigan let Quinn go last month, the day after the Chicago Tribune interviewed Hampton for a story on her claims. Hampton said she personally told Madigan of Quinn’s behavior back in November in a letter.
“The pleading is being reviewed by counsel. However, I can assure you that the Democratic Party of Illinois and the Friends of MJM have not retaliated against Ms. Hampton in any way,” Madigan spokesman Steve Brown said in a statement after today’s news conference.
Madigan’s attorney said last month there was an internal investigation. Kulwin said he wants proof.
“Let’s see it,” Kulwin said. “What was this internal investigation that led you to conclude that everything was OK or not OK? What was your response to the investigation? Who participated in this investigation? Who was interviewed in this investigation? Because to our knowledge the investigation was a 40-minute chat in a Starbucks.”
While it’s not part of the lawsuit yet, Kulwin said the legal team is aware of people trying to dig up dirt on Hampton.
“There were questions raised about phone calls being made trying to dig up dirt on Alaina,” Kulwin said. “They were calling her male colleagues and asking what type of bars she goes to, who does she know, who does she have a relationship with. Outrageous stuff.”
The attorney said he plans to investigate those issues further.
“I can’t say it was directed by anybody yet,” Kulwin said. “I can’t say it was sponsored by anybody yet. We don’t know that at this time and I’m not saying that. We just know it happened and we know who did it, we believe, and we’re going to look into that during our case.”
While the Chicago Tribune said Hampton is seeking $350,000, Kulwin said that will be determined at a later date through the legal process.
“These type of lawsuits can help other women feel comfortable in coming forward,” Kulwin said. “And also hopefully will be instructive to employers not to engage in this conduct and to know how serious it is.”
Hampton said it’s been very difficult in dealing with the aftermath of her accusations being made public, but she is seeing some positive movement of more people coming out to tell their stories of sexual harassment.
“I have people reach out to me just as a support system because they have stories similar to mine,” Hampton said, “and I’m happy to be that person to listen to people who have a story to tell.”
DONAHUE, Iowa -
On a day when President Trump introduced new tariffs against China, Iowa's new Secretary of Agriculture warns that tariffs will hurt the farm economy.
Iowa Ag Secretary Mike Naig calls for markets to grow, not shrink. It's a message getting a stronger voice at the 2018 Ag Summit at Cinnamon Ridge Farms.
"When you look at the ag economy and what's happening with prices, we know that we not only need to protect our markets but expand our markets," he said, on Thursday, March 22.
Along with low crop prices and high production costs, there are new worries that steel and aluminum tariffs will spark retaliation against Iowa soybeans and other exports.
"South America is already a huge competitor in the soybean market," said Jason Pruett, Farm Credit Services. "They could certainly start selling to Mexico."
Summit host John Maxwell agrees and warns of a ripple effect across the state.
"How goes the ag economy, so goes Iowa," he said.
Maxwell wants to remind federal decision-makers that exports are huge for Iowa.
"We're all in it together," he continued. "We all need to join together and work it out."
Whether from crops, combines or construction, tariffs take a toll on farmers.
"When they're talking about steel and everything like that, any time we build anything on the farms, that could definitely increase the prices on that as well," Pruett said.
At this summit, thinking globally is a way of life in rural Iowa.
"We produce way more than we can consume here," Sec. Naig concluded. "That just means we have to move these products around the world."
SACRAMENTO, California -- The Sacramento Police Department have released two body camera videos and one helicopter video from the night officers shot and killed 22-year-old Stephon Clark in the backyard of his grandmother’s home in Sacramento.
Two officers say Clark matched the description of someone reported to be breaking into vehicles in the neighborhood.
They yelled for Clark to show his hands, then shouted "gun, gun, gun" moments before fatally shooting him with 20 shots, according to police.
Police discovered that Clark was holding an iPhone, not a gun.
“It looked like a gun from our perspective," an officer can be heard saying in the body camera footage.
After backup arrived, the officers who fired were taken to the street, where someone says "Hey mute," and the audio cuts out. The video continues without sound for about two minutes as the officers talk.
The shooting has ignited questions by relatives, activists and others after it turned out he was holding only a cellphone.
Black Lives Matter Sacramento called it a police murder and demanded answers. City Councilman Larry Carr decried the loss of life and said police must provide timely information. Rev. Al Sharpton has pledged his support for Clark's family and said he would be in California to help them fight for justice, according to a statement from his organization.
Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg said appropriate questions have been raised about the protocols for using force and rendering emergency aid during police shootings and they must be answered in the investigation.
"Based on the videos alone, I cannot second guess the split-second decisions of our officers,” Steinberg said in a statement. "The investigation must be completed. We need more information in addition to the video before we can render any final conclusions."
Clark was engaged and the father of his fiancee’s two sons, ages 1 and 3.
He routinely helped care for his grandparents at their home in south Sacramento, his cousin, Sonia Lewis, told Capitol Public Radio .
"He was at the wrong place at the wrong time in his own backyard?" Clark's grandmother, Sequita Thompson, told The Sacramento Bee . "C'mon now, they didn't have to do that."
Stephon’s brother, Stevante Clark, told HLN that his priority right now wasn't a possible lawsuit or body camera footage, but focusing on Clark's two young children.
"I just want to make sure his kids go to school, my mom is good, and he gets buried in a way where we don't have to worry -- the nicest funeral," he said.
"They said he had a gun. Then they said he had a crowbar. Then they said he had a toolbar. Now I'm asking you, you've got a nice job, you sound pretty smart. What is a toolbar?" he said.